"After surgery or injury you will need to learn how to reduce swelling by using ice, applying compression using an elastic bandage, elevating and doing ankle pumps. All of these steps together will help reduce your pain and swelling.Here are the basic steps:
1. Fill a sealable bag with ice cubes or use an ice pack
2. Place a plastic bag over the area and ice on top of the plastic bag
3. Wrap an elastic bandage over the ice. Learn how here
4. Use 5 pillows to create a wedge or ramp as shown in the video with your feet higher than your hips and your knees and hips straight
5. An ankle pump is moving your ankle all the way up and all the way down without holding either position. Do 50 of these every 5 minutes
6. Lie down with your head lower than your feet for 20 minutes
Our app, Curovate, has all of your daily exercises for ACL rehabilitation as well as built in reminders and timers for ice, compression, elevation and ankle pumps!
Here is a video (which can also be found in our app) of how to ice, compress, elevate and do ankle pumps.